At this time of year, we always get asked if we sell vegan mulled wine. The answer is no because it is so easy to make and tastes so much better when it is homemade. You also get the benefit of the lovely mulled wine smell throughout the house when you’re making it.
Last year we made vegan mulled wine at our Christmas events, which went down really well and gave everything a lovely Christmassy smell. Unfortunately, this year, we’ve not been able to do any events so we thought we’d share our recipe with you so you can make it at home.
It’s very easy and delicious – great to have after a wintery walk or when you’re putting up the tree. This recipe takes about 25 minutes.
- 2 unwaxed oranges
- 1 unwaxed lemon
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 cloves
- A small piece of ginger (about 4 cm) – peeled and sliced.
- 1/3 cup of sugar – we prefer brown but either works fine.
- 1/4 cup of vegan port – we like to use a late bottle vintage for a full flavour.
- A bottle of full-bodied vegan red wine – we like to use Tall Horse Shiraz.
- 750ml of water
- Zest the lemon and one of the oranges – if you don’t have a zester, you can use a potato peeler to remove thin strips.
- Juice the zested orange.
- Insert the cloves into the other orange.
- Combine the zest, orange juice, clove studded orange and the rest of the ingredients in a large pan.
- Heat gently until the sugar dissolves.
- Turn up the heat a little to bring it to a gentle simmer and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving. You can garnish with orange or lemon slices if you want.
- Sit back and enjoy your vegan mulled wine. 🎄