It is with a heavy heart that I write this blog today. Last night, one of our customers alerted us to the fact that one of the wines we had sent out stated that it contains milk and egg. This is obviously not vegan. Unfortunately, we had acted in good faith and taken the supplier at their word, so had not checked the label. We will not make this mistake again. The wine in question is the Willowglen Merlot.
Upon hearing this, we immediately did the following:
- Checked the labels of all the wines in the same range. We discovered that the Willowglen Shiraz also stated it contained egg.
- Removed the Willowglen Merlot and Willowglen Shiraz from the website to prevent further orders.
- Checked the vegan status of the wines on our supplier’s website – which showed them both as vegan. We have previously had several conversations with them (both verbally and via email) confirming these wines were vegan.
- Raised an urgent request with our supplier to investigate – they sent it overnight to Australia and we’re waiting to hear back.
- Swapped out all Willowglen Merlot and Shiraz wines from pending orders to different wines to make sure we didn’t send any more out.
We’re now in the process of doing the following:
- Checking all wine labels to make sure this doesn’t happen again and also noting wines that are marked as vegan.
- Creating a new filter on our website to show vegan labelled wines.
- Contacting all suppliers to reaffirm vegan status and obtain paperwork to prove it.
We would like to apologise profusely for this situation. We know this is not acceptable at all and it goes against everything we stand for. We have contacted everyone who has bought one of these wines from us to offer a refund.
Once we know the result of the investigations with the supplier, we will make an informed decision as to whether we continue to work with them. You should also be aware that other companies are selling these wines as vegan based on the same information from the supplier.
We hope you understand that this was a genuine mistake and we are devastated that this happened. We pride ourselves are finding quality vegan wine and will strive to do this going forward.
Please contact us if you have any questions at all.